Thursday, October 30, 2008

Onward Jehovah Witness Soldiers,...

A brisk Saturday morning brings about the sights and smells of many things. Freshly cut lawns are perpetuating the aroma of nature throughout the neighborhood as the dew settles and lone birds chirp the beginning of the weekend. Then from the distance I can see movement,..They are too far away, yet closing in on my house. Their faces are sullen, almost melancholly as they get turned away more times than a vacuum salesman. They've arrived. Ready to deliver their message which is usually apocalyptic in nature, brasing themselves for another rejection....Wait! I am listening and they look at each other as if I'd just passed gas in a museum. I invite them in, they see my office, my library if you will. Their energy starts to drain as I pull out a Greek Concordance, my own copy of their Bible as well as a standard one and begin to ask questions...Now I control the conversation, and begin to pepper them with concerns. (One can almost see the sparks as their active intellect begins to process what for the first time is a rebuttal.) Now they are on the defensive, and within five minutes of me exposing their incoherrent logic, they create an excuse to leave. The seed however has been planted. I will later pray a 'Hail Mary.'...They usually don't go to the next house, and the fresh cup of coffee that I brewed will go to waste...

No comments: