Friday, April 12, 2013

God can and does call the Average 'Joe'

Well, my first year as a candidate for priesthood is now coming to an end, and I can honestly say that I've never been happier.  The danger with a vocation, is that God always leaves our free will intact, and though it is Christ who initiates the invitation to 'Follow Him,' it remains ultimately our own proper decision.

Today's blog won't be long, but will only offer a little reflection.  The past few days, the daily Gospel has been from St John.  Specifically notions such as being 'Born Again'(Born from Above) and the need for conversion.  This general idea needs to transcend the mandatory sports slogan at sporting events.  From my own life, conversion is ongoing, one day at a time.  My prayer life begins with a hour of meditation before the Blessed Sacrament, and truthfully, I can't see that changing.  That concerns the 'Internal' the Spiritual dimension, however from the external, I have noticed a calm and stillness instill itself in my heart,..(St Augustine's quote about our hearts being restless comes to mind,..)  What's the point?  Our world needs an encounter with the Risen Christ, only He can heal.

Herein lies the reality, especially after one meets the Risen Christ, is that we remain who we are!!!  Really we do!  So often I get told by friends, or others that I don't fit the priest model,.well did the Apostles?  Does anybody really fit it?  I've mentioned this waaaay too often, but perhaps its needs to be said, I STILL train, I STILL practice Jiu Jitsu, I'm STILL a comic book geek!  I'm STILL a Transformers afficionado, the difference, is that ALL of it comes second to Jesus!  As for the women?  Guess what?  God does not take away your manhood!  Celibacy is not natural, it is SUPERNATURAL!  So while in discernment, one must see if there is an authentic call to celibacy, and through Grace, can it be lived out authentically and freely!  You take precautions, but that doesn't mean you close yourself off.




St Pio de Pietrelcina,..............................ora pro nobis!

No comments: